After having been really on it and motivated in going to the gym every Tuesday during my lunch hour, I ended up not going for 2 weeks. I am almost 3 weeks into the new rhythm tap term, so I am doing something, but I do want to keep the gym in my weekly routine for fitness, toning and important dancer’s knee maintenance. But, having given in to ‘I can’t be bothered’, it took everything I had to make myself get back to it yesterday.
At midday I went, worked out and felt great afterwards!
How to motivate yourself to hit the gym:
- Create a manageable routine – my routine is gym every Tuesday at 12pm, tap class every Thursday at 1.30pm, with a rest day in between.
- Don’t make your sessions so long that you can’t face going again – Because I’m squeezed by my lunch hour, I go for about half an hour to 40 minutes, which includes important stretch time.
- Don’t set ridiculous goals that you can’t achieve – a six-pack is overrated, unless you’re into competitive bodybuilding… One of my goals was to lose a couple of kilos – done!
- Include a variety of machines in your repertoire – I started with just a few basic machines and then I’ve been trying to add a new thing every few weeks.
- Measure your progress – this may be weight (yours or the weights you are able to lift), body measurements, or even blood pressure readings if you’re trying to reduce your BP
- Reward yourself on your achievements – a massage, a new piece of gym clothing
- Find a gym buddy and go together – this might be a friend, colleague or family member
- If you gym in the evening, go straight there from work. DO NOT go home first. You won’t leave!
- Prep an amazing post-workout meal that you can look forward to afterwards. I make all my lunches for the week – a salad that usually consists of chicken breast, rocket, olives, feta, sweetcorn, pasta with pine nuts and spinach.
- Create a bangin’ playlist that you look forward to listening to as you work out (as well as modern stuff, mine has a lot of 80s power tracks, which are high-tempo, cheesy and super-motivating – think Maniac by Michael Sembello)
I actually look forward to my shower at work afterwards because it’s like a bit of pampering during my working day with the shower kit I created:
- Tropical Shower gel
- Wash mit
- Coarse body scrub
- Foot file
- Shea Body Butter
- Tea tree foot gel with arnica
- Mini bath mat
Yes, I scrub, shower, shave and moisturise like a mini spa treatment. A shower doesn’t have to just be practical!
What motivates you to get up and go to the gym? Let me know in the comments.